About Woodlawn Kids Dental Child Tooth Extractions
Sometimes, in spite of your best oral care efforts, one of your child’s teeth may become so diseased or damaged that it is beyond repair. This may be due to an illness as a baby or some other factor completely out of your control. When this happens, the simplest, healthiest option may be to remove that tooth altogether.
Child Tooth Extractions FAQs
Some of the most common questions we get asked about tooth extractions are covered here:
- Why might my child need a tooth extraction? With proper oral care and dental hygiene your child may never need a tooth extraction. But sometimes, even with perfect care, the need may arise, whatever the underlying cause. Possible reasons for a child tooth extraction include:
- A baby tooth is decayed beyond repair, undergone trauma or injury, or has not fallen out naturally and is crowding the growth of new adult (permanent) teeth
- An adult tooth is damaged beyond repair due to decay, trauma or injury
- A wisdom tooth is causing pain or overcrowding.
- What happens during my child’s tooth extraction?
- Baby teeth: This is typically fairly quick and easy; sometimes the space left behind may require a prosthetic tooth or other mechanism to be fitted to act as a space-saver for incoming adult teeth.
- Adult teeth: These extractions can be a little trickier and may require additional procedures such as implants. Adult tooth extractions may also involve more invasive procedures as well as the possibility of stitches. Adult tooth extractions are only performed when absolutely necessary, and are frequently recommended to be done under sleep sedation.
- Post extraction: After any tooth extraction our team will give you complete, easy-to-follow instructions to promote recovery. We will also give you a direct number to call with any concerns or questions.
Woodlawn Kids Dental Child Tooth Extractions Services
A pediatric dentist uses specific dental tools and techniques to ensure that the extraction procedure is as minimally disruptive as possible to your child. From the initial consultation, to the appropriate sedation options for your child, to the actual procedure, post-procedure care, and follow-up visits the Woodlawn Kids Dental team will guide you every step of the way.