About Dental Sedation
Knowing and understanding, that so many people (and not just kids!) still associate trips to the dentist with fear and anxiety, pediatric dentists perform their work with:
- Dental tools and techniques designed for pedatric dentistry;
- A caring approach based on expert knowledge of pediatric behavioral guidance; and,
- Where required and deemed necessary – according to a child’s age, personality, level of comfort, and the procedure in question – dental sedation.
By focusing on your child’s comfort, safety, stress levels and overall happiness, a pediatric dentist is able to identify where dental sedation in some form may be the best option to ensure an excellent outcome. Woodlawn Kids Dental offers different sedation options, including sleep dentistry that can be found in a pediatric dental office.
Pediatric Dental Sedation FAQs
Some of the most common questions we get asked about dental sedation are covered here:
- Is dental sedation safe? Sedation is a well established practice subject to specific ongoing regulatory oversite, inspection and certification.
- What types of dental sedation are available?
- Oral Sedation: A simple and minimally invasive pediatric sedation method administered through the mouth or nose. Your child stays awake, for the entire dental appointment.
- Laughing Gas: A mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen is delivered via a tube into a nasal hood placed over your child’s nose. All your child needs to do is breathe normally. Somewhere between 20 seconds and five minutes the gas will kick in to suppress physical sensations (touch, hearing, pain) and sometimes emotional sensations (such as memory), while producing feelings of euphoria. Post procedure, pure oxygen is given via the same tube to clear out any remaining nitrous oxide.
- Pediatric Sleep Sedation: For more complex procedures, which might be more invasive, noisy, or long for example, full pediatric sleep sedation is sometimes recommended. A sleep dentistry team will include a pediatric dentist, assistant, anesthesiologist and nurse. Woodlawn Kids Dental offers sleep dentistry in our clinic. Click here for more on our sleep sedation option and eligible procedures.
Woodlawn Kids Dental Sedation Services
If you are interested in sedation services at Woodlawn Kids Dental, contact our team for more information. Your general dentist can refer your child to our practice, or you can book directly with Woodlawn Kids Dental at 519-286-6006. Our pediatric dental team will carefully explain each sedation option available to you and your child, answer your questions or concerns, and help you understand your options on the appropriate sedation method for your child.