About Woodlawn Kids Dental Sports Mouth Guards
You kit your child out with a helmet, shin pads, elbow pads, and more right? But what do you do to protect their teeth, gums and mouth? Why sports mouth guards are not more common continues to be one of the great mysteries of pediatric dentistry! We see so many painful mouth-related sports injuries, many of which could have been prevented with this one small addition to your child’s life (and other sports paraphernalia): the sports mouth guard.
In short, if you have an active child between the ages of 7 and 14 – the age children are most prone to sports-related oral injuries – you might want to think about a custom-fitted sports mouth guard.
Sports Mouth Guard FAQs
Some of the most common questions we get asked about sports mouth guards are covered here:
- Does my child really need a sports mouth guard?
- The answer to this question is yes, it’s a really good idea if:
- Your child is active.
- Your child is involved in any kind of vigorous sporting activity.
- Your child is accident prone.
- Your child grinds their teeth in their sleep (your pediatric dentist might notice this during regular checkups)
- The Canadian Dental Association (CDA) recommends that everyone who takes part in any kind of sport that puts them at risk of mouth injury should wear a mouthguard.
- What does a sports mouth guard do? A properly fitted, customized sports mouth guard will cushion blows to the mouth, thereby potentially
- preventing chipped, broken and lost teeth;
- protecting the lips, tongue and gums;
- protecting against nerve damage;
- decreasing concussion severity;
- protecting your child from potentially painful dental issues.
Woodlawn Kids Dental Sports Mouth Guard Services
Woodlawn Kids Dental has a machine to custom make sports mouthguards. In just two, approximately 20-minute visits, we will fit your child or teenager with a custom-made mouth guard that is designed, shaped and contoured to the exact size, shape, nooks and crannies of their mouth and teeth.
Note: custom children’s sports mouth guards are oftentimes covered under your dental insurance policy – ask us to check with your provider, and if it is we can even offer direct billing.