About Woodlawn Kids Dental Pediatric Dentistry
Pediatric dentistry requires a passion for creating a safe, happy, comfortable experience for every child who walks through our doors, no matter how big or small the dental issue being dealt with. From your child’s routine, regular checkups and cleanings, to unexpected toothaches or other dental traumas, to dental accidents, tooth extractions, custom-made kid’s sports guards and more, a pediatric dentist will offer specialized care.
Pediatric Dentistry FAQs
Some of the most common questions we get asked about pediatric dentistry are covered here:
- What is pediatric dentistry? Pediatric dentistry is dentistry, but using tools, techniques and an approach to patient care which is customized to specifically suit small patients! This specialized dental practice is committed to protecting both the oral and mental health of children of all ages.
- Do I need a referral for a pediatric dental appointment? A pediatric dentist provides primiary care and does not require a referral. A general dentist might make a referral for cases they believe are better suited to a specialist, but any parent can contact a pediatric dental office to ask about an appointment for their child. Woodland Kids Dental accepts new patients with NO REFERRAL REQUIRED.
- Why choose a pediatric dentist over my friendly neighbourhood dentist who I’ve known for years? Pediatric dentists have had specialist training that pertains to both children’s teeth and their mental makeup. A pediatric dentist will have comprehensive training and experience in managing children on the Autism Spectrum, behavioural guidance techniques, including completing kids’ dental treatments under oral conscious sedation and general anesthesia.
- What happens at a pediatric dental appointment? A visit to our pediatric dental clinic may therefore include some, or all, of the following:
- A happy visit: a team committed to ensuring your child has a stress-free experience, no matter what tooth treatments are being administered.
- A deep clean: our oral hygienist will carefully remove any plaque and calculus to help prevent decay and keep their teeth healthy.
- Full checkup/oral inspection: a pediatric dentist (such as Dr. Sekhon) will examine your child’s mouth, gums, and teeth for any warning signs of decay, cavities, or other dental problems.
- Fluoride treatment: may be recommended help strengthen tooth enamel and prevent tooth decay.
- Dental sealants: may be recommended to combat future dental decay.
- Oral care tips and tricks to help foster lifelong oral hygiene practices
- X-Rays: periodically, to show what is happening below the gum line and to help identify cavities in their early stages, assess root development, and identify adult teeth coming in below the gum.
Woodlawn Kids Dental Child Pediatric Dentistry Services
At Woodland Kids Dental, it is our belief that positive childhood dental experiences are key to fostering a lifetime of oral health.
A pediatric dentist takes a very thorough, thoughtful approach to your child’s visit to a clinic, assessing oral health and proper care, looking at current oral or dental issues, and keeping an eye out for future problems. To facilitate this, at every visit you can expect:
- Pediatric dental equipment, methods and tools;
- Kid-friendly techniques;
- Empathetic patient care, designed to fit your child, their personality, and their comfort level at the dentist;
- Customized treatment options including sleep dentistry and kid-friendly sedation;
- Affordable care that focuses on your children’s mental well-being as much as their dental well-being.